On October 22, 2015, EPA published the final National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Electronic Reporting Rule. This regulation replaces most paper-based Clean Water Act (CWA) NPDES permitting and compliance monitoring reporting requirements with electronic reporting. By modernizing this Clean Water Act reporting program, permittees and regulators will use existing, available information technology to electronically report data related to the NPDES permit program. This regulation provides greater clarity on who is and who is not in compliance and enhances transparency by providing a timelier, complete, more accurate, and nationally consistent set of NPDES program data.
The transition from paper to electronic reporting will require close coordination and cooperation between EPA and authorized NPDES programs and will occur in two phases. The regulation requires authorized NPDES programs to electronically submit additional data elements, located in Appendix A of the rule, that were not previously required. Additionally, other data elements will no longer be needed.
To accommodate these changes, the ICIS-NPDES v5.3 schema will require a major update. The E-Enterprise and Exchange Network Management Board has reformed the ICIS-NPDES Electronic Data Transfer (EDT) IPT to facilitate this update. The IPT will:
- Review XML schema updates that will be shared with the team through multiple releases
- Reach agreement on EDT error message content
- Submit test XML submissions to the ICIS test environment
- Perform User Acceptance Testing
- Provide input on all Exchange Network documents that are required as part of the Flow Documentation Package
- Identify necessary EDT user training
The IPT meets via conference call and web conferencing. The frequency of IPT calls is determined based on stakeholder needs and is adjusted as needed. The IPT Co-Chairs determine the call process, schedule, and topics with input from the IPT members.
The IPT held its Kickoff Call on April 13, 2016.
- IPT Charter – April 27, 2016
- NPDES E-Reporting Rule Website
- Final NPDES Electronic Reporting Rule – Effective December 21, 2015
- SharePoint Site
Joe Carioti (EPA Co-Chair)
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
carioti.joe [at] epa.gov
Christy Monk (State Co-Chair)
Alabama Department of Environmental Management
cvm [at] adem.state.al.us