EPA’s Cross-Media Electronic Reporting Regulation (CROMERR) sets performance-based, technology-neutral security and performance standards for systems that States, Territories, Tribes, and local governments use to receive electronic reports or other documents from facilities they regulate under EPA-authorized programs. CROMERR also addresses electronic reporting directly to EPA. CROMERR establishes standards for information systems that receive reports and other documents electronically. The standards are designed to provide electronic submittals with the same level of legal dependability as the corresponding paper submittals. Partners who have addressed CROMERR requirements have done so by implementing system functions within each of their respective electronic reporting systems, resulting in multiplicative investment of resources. Cloud-based technologies and EPA’s Central Data Exchange (CDX) may offer a more efficient solution.
The Shared CROMERR Services and Components Integrated Project Team (IPT) was formed September 27, 2012. The IPT’s Charter is available here.
The objective of the first phase of the IPT was to define the requirements and policy implications for a shared set of CROMERR Services and Components that could be leveraged by Partners to achieve CROMERR compliance. A Feedback Questionnaire and Response Summary were used to develop the Shared CROMERR Guidance and Recommendations Document, which outlines the recommendations developed during phase one.
The objective of the second phase of the IPT is to pilot test the shared services that have been developed for registration and identity management, electronic signature recording, and copy of record management. The following resources are available to help States and Tribes considering testing or including these services in application development:
- March 27, 2014, EN Open Call – CROMERR Shared Services (Recorded Webinar in .mp4 format)
- Shared CROMERR Services Demonstration Presentation Slides
- Executive Summary of Shared CROMERR Services v0.8
- Shared CROMERR Services Implementation Overview, June 2013
- Shared CROMERR Services Getting Started Guide for Developers v0.1
- CROMERR Shared Services Checklist, February 2014
- Shared CROMERR Services Toolkit, February 2014 – (.zip file contains detailed documentation of the developed shared services including API guides, the CROMERR checklist attachments, and project templates.)
Chuck Freeman (EPA Co-Chair)
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
freeman.charles [at] epa.gov
Christopher Morrell (State Co-Chair)
Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control
christopher.morrell [at] state.de.us